The tour is for culture-minded people keen to discover Edinburgh’s role within the context of European culture of the 18-19th centuries.
The tour’s essential components include:
- Discovering the role of Edinburgh in European culture;
- Learning about various achievements of the past that still have impact on us today;
- Exploring stories about Edinburgh Genius;
- Visiting places and sites bearing memories and legacy about Scottish Enlightenment;
- Participants need no previous knowledge; all that is required is a curiosity in the subject concerned.
The Scots think of it as their capital; they’re too possessive, Edinburgh belongs to the world.”
Edinburgh-born artist Richard Demarco
The Enlightenment period – the extraordinary time of science development, boost of intellectual thought and innovative ideas. It also know as the age of “reason”.
Edinburgh was the beating heart of the Enlightenment in Scotland. The intellectual courage and prowess of its philosophers along with the vision of its civic leaders created a new post-Union metropolis that put the city on the world stage.
The tour is for culture-minded people keen to discover Edinburgh’s role within the context of European culture.
Leran about achievements that affected almost every area of life and still have an impact on us today. Explore stories of Adam Smith, David Hume, James Hutton, Robert Burns and many of the great figures of the Enlightenment who were heralds for sciences, social studies and technologies, expressive arts, religious and moral education. See the places in Edinburgh New and Old Town, where the city bears memories and legacy of Edinburgh Genius.
Selected areas in Edinburgh New and Old Town, Surgeons Hall, Calton Hill